Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Twenty Two Thousand More Soldiers

I've read a great deal today about Secretary of Defense Gates' comments about adding another twenty two thousand troops to the US Army's strength. This sounds great. I hope it happens. But here are just a few concerns that I have right up front.

Units deploying right now are not receiving their final assignment of Soldiers sometimes until 30-60 days out from deployment. Are these 22,000 going to go to manning these units correctly for all of their train-up? Or are we going to create more Brigades that are not properly manned for their complete train-up?

In addition to the increased number of Soldiers, that means at least double the number of family members. Is the SECDEF going to increase funding to the bases to have adequate facilities to accommodate this increase?

Some examples of how this plays out. If you are a wife, and even have a doctors appointment, you must find childcare for your children. You can't take them with you to the appointment. Grandma and Grandpa are not nearby. Currently I have to call 6 weeks in advance in order to hope I can get hourly care for my youngest. Will we see more childcare facilities?

Will there be more housing built? I know the Army is quite proud of it's current housing initiative, but we are still short on-base housing. Is he going to increase funding for this?

Is he going to increase medical professionals? Is he going to increase Exceptional Family Member Program personnel?

The reason I am asking these questions is that the Military Budget is taking drastic hits under the Obama Administration; 25% over one year, 25% the next year. So Secretary Gates, are you going to program this money back into the budget in order to not only increase the number of Soldiers but to sustain Soldier and Family Life-Support Systems On-Base? I hope someone has thought of these 2nd and 3rd order effects. I would like to think so. I am all for a stronger military, but I just hope it is done properly. I remember being active duty and then a family member under Bill Clinton....it was not pretty.

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment