Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Right-Wing Extremist Report. What the heck?

First and foremost, I do not agree with what any extremist organization stands for, be it right or left-winged. I believe that anyone in this country, no matter their race or religion, has the same right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

With that said, I am concerned about this Department of Homeland Security report/assessment because it puts alot of vague ideas out there about who right-wing extremists might embody. The assessment talks about how right-wing extremists may be recruiting military veterans, the unemployed, those concerned about gun control and illegal immigration, and those concerned about the outsourcing to China, India or other areas. Again and again and again the document talks about the fact that an African American president has been elected and how that may spark radicalism or help in recruiting radicals. Once would have been enough.

Now, it is true that these are subjects that the white supremist or militia extremists use as talking points to recruit and/or justify violent acts. However, does it mean that anyone who holds one or more of these concerns is destined for the closest militia group. I think not.

The statements in this document are so vague that I am afraid they could pinpoint many who are just the average concerned U.S. citizen who loves their country and some that would fight for it no matter who the President happens to be solely on the principles for which the US stands. The problem is that most folks are watching those principles becoming null and void with many actions of the current administration and Congress.

I guess my biggest question becomes: "Where does it end?" If I am angry over illegal immigration, does this mean I am an extremist? If I believe in my second ammendment rights, does that me an extremist? If I am angry about out-sourcing or allowing China to buy up all of our debt, does that make me an extremist? They left this document so vague that logical conclusions can be drawn in this manner. So where does it end? When we all think the same? I can only pray and hope not. But then again, maybe I'm just clinging to my guns and religion.

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment